An HND is a Level 5 qualification and represents the next level of study in Higher Education, building on the fundamental principles studied during an HNC. Higher National Diploma qualifications are highly-recognised and sought after both in academia and in industry, and facilitate opportunities for career development, as well as progression on to further study.
Note that this course is only available as a top-up course. As a result, this programme is only suitable for those who already have an HNC in Engineering, studied under the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF), introduced in 2017.
If you do not have an RQF HNC in Engineering, please refer to our HNC courses listed here. Once you have achieved the HNC qualification, you will be eligible to apply for the HND top-up qualification.
General Engineering HND Overview
A Level 5 HND builds on the fundamental Engineering principles studied at HNC (Level 4), and further develops knowledge and skills in the field of General Engineering. The HND top-up programme in General Engineering consists of a range of Level 5 units, designed to deepen understanding of Engineering principles acquired during the HNC. In addition, the HND programme will introduce new, more challenging technical skills.
Like our HNC qualifications, this HND top-up programme offers full Online Delivery and Assessment. This is a Distance Learning programme, but not in the traditional sense, as our content primarily consists of video tutorials and interactive practice questions, carefully designed to help and guide you during your studies.
Studying by Distance can be challenging, so completing your HND top-up with us will be a real testament to your self-motivation, organisational skills and perseverance. These are additional transferable skills that are also highly desirable in the Engineering sector.
General Engineering HND Top-Up Course Content
The Engineers Academy® BTEC HND Top-Up in General Engineering will supplement the 8 units that you will have already studied during your HNC programme, by adding an additional 7 Level 5 units. To view the specification provided by the awarding body for this qualification, click on the BTEC Edexcel image above.
Please note: the units listed below make the assumption that you have completed your HNC with the Engineers Academy®, or have completed a qualification made up of similar units with another provider. Although we will endeavour to keep this unit combination the same for all applicants, if you studied your HNC with a different provider, then it may be necessary for some units to be substituted, or additional units to be added. The units listed below may also be subject to change.
L5 HND Units:
- Unit 35 – Professional Engineering Management
- Unit 39 – Further Mathematics
- Unit 49 – Lean Manufacturing
- Unit 36 – Advanced Mechanical Principles
- Unit 52 – Further Electrical, Electronic and Digital Principles
- Unit 37 – Virtual Engineering
- Unit 34 – Research Project
Engineers Academy Clients
Additional Programme Study Requirements
You will be provided with full, unlimited access to the Engineers Academy Study Platform for the duration of your chosen HND course. In order to access the Study Platform, you will need an Internet connection and Internet access. In addition, you will need to have access to the following:
- A scientific calculator (Casio FX83GT or equivalent)
- A Laptop or Desktop Computer (capable of running Autodesk Fusion and CFD)
- Microsoft Office 365 / LibreOffice software (or equivalent)
Note: You may also be required to register for additional subject specific software, but wherever possible, we will recommend software that offers free trials and / or student licenses.
Additionally, due to expectations of the awarding body (Pearson):
- Students enrolling on any Level 5 HND top-up programme must be employed in the engineering sector (or an engineering related role), or must be a ‘time-served’ engineer.
- Students must be available for the face-to-face assessment of at least one aspect of the programme, which can be arranged to be at a time and place convenient to the student, including the student’s workplace (where appropriate).
There are no reviews yet.